So yeah, today you are turning 17. and I could see how time really flies.
The way God brings things into existence is Holy Wonder.
The way He is growing you.
There are a whole lot of 6 years between me and you… yeah, sure, dad and mum thought they were done with kids when they had me and your older brother. they had planned for only 2 kids, but God always births beauty in the unseen and the unexpected.
You entered this side of heaven when I was six years old. I didn’t understand what it means to have siblings. You were mama’s second boy.
Now you are 17 years old, the big handsome boy that mama brought home 17 years ago is slowly but surely turning into a young man.
Looking back, here are things that I would say to the 17 year old me, and that I am ultimately saying to you:
- Love God, and your life will start to make sense. Life is a journey. And for us Christians, sometimes it seems that it’s hardest; but the good news is that we don’t do this life alone. Jesus is there, for us and with us, every step of the way to carry us. No matter how low we fall, or how far we run.
- God is for you. yeah, you. maybe hard to believe when we are at our worst, but God is really for you. The proof is that He died on the cross for you and me.
- You will be okay. Life brings every one of us to the ground. and we feel like it’s the end of us. but maybe every situation that brings us to our knees is grace after all? because we are in the best position to be heard from heaven!
- Success is not measured by what you earn but by how you love! yeah, for us, who have died to live, success has another definition. Look at mama, how she loves, is there any other successful person you know apart from her? because at the end of our lives, the “riches” we would have imparted in people’s lives is what our legacy would be about. Money fades eventually. So aim higher. Love those who society has rejected, and invest in the things of God, because that’s ultimately the only thing that will EVER last. Do that and you will be the most successful person that God created you to be. Things come and go, souls are eternal.
- You lose big time when you always want to be right. When you want to always be right, you miss out an opportunity for growth. Because you are preoccupied with being right, you don’t listen and think about what the other person is saying. and maybe, just maybe, they might say something that may have deeply impacted your life?
Yes, all of that, are the things that I am still trying and struggling to learn. I see myself in you: my pride, my fallen nature, and a tongue that’s quick to snap out. All of those are somehow in you too, I recognize them quick because I live with the same sin that’s in you.
But God is gracious, He is changing us. I know for sure He is changing me with your help.
You boys have taught me more about love, than any love book ever could. yeah, I know, people paint love as this majestic thing that comes easily. But you guys have taught me the real definition of love: love lays down its wants to serve.
You, from all people know how quickly I can get angry. How I shut down instead of talking about issues. And you always say: why don’t you talk through your conflicts. yeah, I always seem like I am not listening when you say that. but God makes sure, I do listen.
I guess what I am try to say is that I have learned that when conflicts go unresolved they give rise to a volcano that will one day erupt.
Honesty frees the heart.
John 8: 31-25
The Truth Shall make you Free
“Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “if you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.”
They answered Him, “We are Abraham’s descendants, have never been in bondage to anyone. How can you say “you will be free?”
Jesus answered them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever.
Therefore is the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed”. John 8:31-35
God is more than what you imagine. I promise.
God will use you to do mighty things. He wants to use all of us.
So attempt big things for God, don’t be scared to fail or fall. Because in His arms, we are always failing, falling forward. And nothing can separate us from Him.
So go on, enjoy today. Be thankful that you are blessed to see your 17th year.
There are so many other things I have learned from you boys. I am thankful for you more than I will ever be able to articulate.
I am thankful for your 17th birthday as well.
I love you and I am for you, now and forever…